Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Challenges of Starting a New Program

This is my first term in the LIS program. Before I came to the school, I had worked in a couple of libraries. What I have found out over the past six weeks, however, is that working in a library does not mean one is exposed to the jargon or issues of the library and information profession. Just figuring out what a text is trying to state or what a professor is talking about has required the expenditure of much time and energy this summer. Moreover, trying to follow a lecture that is thoroughly confusing is one of the most frustrating experiences a student at any level can go through. I have walked out of many classes quite flustered because of this. One of the benefits of persevering in spite of the confusion is that a breakthrough in comprehension usually occurs at some point. This is starting to happen with the Organizing and Retrieving course, which initially appeared to be more like a philosophy course than one about cataloging. This technology class is also taking on more relevance as I learn about the reality of the profession. One thing that I realize is that there is a lot to catch up on regarding technology and computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment