Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Charlie Rose

Hello Everyone (however few you are),

I have decided to write about some of the programs and movies I enjoy watching. This week I will discuss the Charlie Rose talkshow broadcast on PBS and Bloomberg media outlets. This is a program that I have watched for nearly seven years. Over those years I have watched world leaders, financiers, writers, economists, actors, scientists and a host of people involved in a myriad of activities interviewed by a man who is curious, well informed, and enjoys talking to people. The show is recorded in studios of the Bloomburg building in New York City. As a host, Rose is seldom inclined to discuss topics and issues at a shallow level. It is this willingness to explore a subject in depth that I most appreciate. Throughout this year, for example, he has hosted at least six programs about brain science and research, bringing together in one studio four or five scientists with a busy schedule of academic work and research (not a small feat in itself).

Charlie Rose was born in North Carolina and attended Duke University. He received a law degree there but decided to pursue broadcasting as a career. I read that he worked as a producer for Bill Moyers in the 1970s. Rose's current program started in the early 1990s. All the interviews he has done for the program are available at the program's website. Some of the most memorable interviews I can recall are the those with the late historian John Hope Franklin and the one with Ahmet Ertegun, the founder of Atlantic Records, shortly before his death.

I certainly do not mind staying up late to watch this program. Perhaps you might not mind it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment